Sunday, February 3, 2013

Lentils, Beets and Savory Noodle Kugel


This kind of eating is one of the things I love about winter. That you can make so much out of so little always satisfies me on a deep level. I told Steve not to expect much out of dinner--he saw the lentils, and shrugged, thinking of a skimpy meal of a bean sliced three ways--but then I came up with this. He shouldn't really listen to me.

The beets were grated and added to some sauteed onions. Sprinkled with salt and pepper, I cooked them about ten minutes--enough to be cooked but still crunchy--and at the last moment added a tablespoon of horseradish. This is my new favorite side. If you add a shallot to the onions, so much the better.

The lentils are just cooked until tender, then added to a pan of salt pork cooking in a hot skillet. I added some stock, some chopped preserved lemon, pepper. That's it. And the kugel is a riff on a savory one from Saveur. Mine had feta, greek yogurt, olive oil, etc. It came out amazing. Just finished the last of it for lunch today.

Ah, winter! I've been slowly coming out of my cooking funk, and this meal was a real sign of that. Immediately when I saw these dishes all together, I thought: I'm out! It's been dreadfully cold and icy, no snow but a few dry flakes here and there. I've been going easy on myself this winter: allowing glasses of wine at night by the wood stove, watching my shows, putting my feet up. (My new show is The House of Eliott; if you have a Downton Abbey crush, then you'll love this. I think it's much better.) All of this quietness  is good, but I still feel the eagle eye within me watching the skies for spring. I have seen bluebirds flitting about, but still the ground is very much frozen. I look longingly at the garden. Soon, my lovelies, soon.

6 comments:

  1. you just know how to brace winter. i'm not totally familiar with the "kugel" but imagine it was a belly stuffer. my own version of lentils was unphotographable... but likely as delicious as yours. lentils are simply fabulous! we had some yesterday, as a salad, rice lentils and lose greens, oil&vinegar. i am so grateful that stephanie eats what i make.
    i love your stove-top image, beautiful!
    m

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could she not love what you make! Although, it is nice to have an appreciative audience! Thanks as always, Michael!

      Delete
  2. it all looks lovely julia! and i hear you on the cold, dark and gardenless. but soon we'll be rejoicing in the gorgeous hudson valley-berkshire spring. it's worth the wait! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tigress! And yes, you are SO right!!

      Delete
  3. I made those beets last night. This may be my new favorite way to prepare them now. So delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm so glad you let me know!! Aren't they great?

      Delete