Thursday, November 5, 2009

Shortbread

What could be simpler than shortbread? Shortbread was one of the first things I ever made by myself, guided at first by my mother, of course. I remember the pan I had--a coppery pan with the alphabet molded in at the bottom. Probably wasn't the best pan for the job, as I think back on it, but I loved it and nothing else would do, I'm sure.

Another great thing about this is that I don't even have to clean a bowl because I mix it in the processor, and then press it straight into a pan. My motivation today was to make a treat for baby, but this is a ruse, because I am the one who eats all of it. He's the one who needs the butter, not me. Though he does like it, it's true! I had some vanilla sugar left, so I used that, and put in some orange extract. Shortbread is so versatile. Really, put a lot of butter with sugar and flour and you're probably going to eat it. You know?

2 cups of flour
1 1/2 sticks of butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp orange extract

Mix in food processor until crumbly. Pour in 8" pan and press in, smooth with spatula. 325 oven for about 45 minutes. Let cool. Cut into squares. Eat too many. Go ahead. Do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment