Tuesday, October 13, 2009

BBQ Stew

Listen, I know this sounds gross, but it was really tasty. It was inspired by a pint jar of bbq sauce that I made back in the beginning of September knowing full well that the season was on the wane and thus, there was not much more of a need for said sauce. So, what to do? (The sauce was from a Joy of Cooking recipe). I had bought a huge fresh ham and roasted it with potatoes, onions and apples, served with sauerkraut. It was gorgeous, all burnished mahogany and glistening fat, and we ate it at 8 p.m. in front of the TV watching Fellini. The next day I cubed up all the left over meat and cooked this up:

BBQ Stew

Put all this in a crock pot and cook it on high for six hours:

1 pint of good BBQ sauce
2 pints of water
1 can white beans
1 can plum tomatoes (28 oz.)
1 bay leaf
a few cloves of garlic
cubed, cooked pork

When this is done, leave the crock pot on warm and add 1/2 white rice, and 2 peppers (1 red and 1 green looked nice). Cook for another fifteen or twenty minutes. Add chopped fresh parsley.

It was a thick and meaty chili-ish dish. A little vinegary and a touch sweet. Although, I am not sure when the next time will be that I have a pint of bbq sauce I need to use that doesn't include, well, barbecue.

No comments:

Post a Comment